We drink it, cook with it, swim in it, wash in it, heck it even pours down on us.
Our bodies are composed roughly 60% water, it is crucial to our survival, yet many of us don’t drink anywhere near enough water. Most of us at some point during the day become dehydrated.
When is the best time to take a drink, when you’re thirsty, right? Wrong! by the time you experience the sensation of the thirst, you are already dehydrated.
If you don’t drink water, you will die. It’s as simple as that. Apart from avoiding the grim reaper coming knocking, here are 10 other reasons that we should start drinking more water:
1. It may prevent some types of cancer. Drinking more water can reduce the likeliness of developing bladder cancer. Visiting the loo more often may prevent the buildup of bladder carcinogens. Staying hydrated may also reduce the risk of colon cancer and breast cancer .
2. Be less cranky. Research says dehydration can affect your mood and make you grumpy and confused. So next time your partner is being irrational hand them a bottle of water (**WARNING** this may lead to facial injuries, when they throw the bottle in your direction).
3. It helps us think more clearly. Dehydration causes brain tissue shrinkage. When we are dehydrated our brains find it a lot more difficult to function compared to when we are hydrated. Drink to Think!
4. Perform better. Proper hydration contributes to increased athletic performance. Water composes 75% of our muscle tissue!
5. Lose weight. Sometimes we think we are hungry, when actually we are thirsty. Our body just starts turning on all the alarms when we ignore it. Staying hydrated is a great appetite suppressant.Studies have found that when participants drink water before a meal, they lose weight faster than those that didn’t drink water.
6.Reduces joint pain. Drinking water can reduce pain in your joints by keeping the cartilage soft and hydrated. It also protects our spinal cord and tissues, keeping us healthy from the inside out. Glucosamine supplements help reduce joint pain, by aiding in cartilage’s absorption of water.
7. Helps you to let it go. Our digestive system needs water to function properly. Drinking enough water prevents constipation and also reduces the strain placed on the kidneys and liver by helping to flush let go of waste products.
8. Prevent headaches. Sometimes headaches can be caused by dehydration. Going too long without water can also be a Migraine trigger. Next time your head hurts, pour yourself a cup of H20.
9. Make your skin glow. Our skin is the largest organ in our body. Drinking water regularly can improve the colour and appearance of your skin by allowing new cells to form properly. Drinking water also helps the skin do it’s job of regulating the body’s temperature through sweating.
10. Water Helps Prevent Hangovers. Drinking alcohol causes dehydration. which can lead to hangovers. Having a glass of water with each alcoholic drink you sip is one way to offset the dehydration, also have a large glass next to the bed for when you finally negotiate your way into the recovery position.